Thursday, June 25, 2009

Geothermal energy induced earthquakes


A really quick movie about a new geothermal energy project that raises concerns that it may trigger large earthquakes is available at the new york times.
I found a couple of interesting points in the video. I did not realize that there was any large geothermal projects in North America, but the largest group of plants is in California. Also I was extremely skeptical that drilling into the ground could possibly do anything that would cause an earthquake. An existing geothermal project however already does.
I would have liked to have heard more from the company about why the new project will not cause earthquakes.


2 comments:

Bayman said...

I sure hope those Dwarves know what they're doing. Although my main concern would be disturbing the Balrog...

CB said...

We don't need more earthquakes in CA!